Monday, September 22, 2008

More on Being a Jennifer

     I know--you're already bored, and you've only read the title.  But please bear with me.  What I have to say isn't nearly as self-absorbed as I've led you to believe.  
     Shortly after writing my last post, I had the privilege of reading a play written by one of my dear friends from high school called "Going with Jenny."  In the play, he chronicles the history of his love life, from childhood through college--all with girls named Jenny, each with a different spelling.  See, there really are 50 million of us.  In my total narcissism, I of course skipped right to the "n-n-i" section of the play.  Thomas Ward and I had three big dates over the course of three years, and it was fun to relive them, only this time through his eyes.  Once I got over the fact that my junior homecoming date had been immortalized in literature, I was able to read the play again and fully appreciate it.  It's a really smart, funny, honest portrayal of infatuation, love, and the fear, comfort, boredom, understanding, and satisfaction of marriage.  It made me realize that our real life stories and relationships are what art is made of.  I never understood this until I saw my own experiences expressed in someone else's work of art.
   The first act is written from the man's point of view, and the second is from the woman's.  His wife wrote the woman's part, and I really loved it, probably because I could relate to it.  I have to admit that parts of the first act confirmed my long held suspicion that boys are weird.  I should know, I live with four of them.  The last act shows the man and woman together.  Seeing them interact is a reminder that despite our histories and our differences, our doubts and temptations, we are able to give something to each other that no one else can.
     Okay Thomas, if you ever write a novel, I at least want a shot at writing the blurb on the jacket.  Have your people call my people.  Wait, you actually have people.  Never mind.
     So, in closing, I guess having the most common female name of my generation hasn't been all bad.  At least it's made for good literature.  And if you're in Atlanta in January, be sure to see Thomas and Sherry Jo Ward's play "Going with Jenny."  You won't be sorry.
     

8 comments:

Josh said...

take the immortality any way you can get it, i always say . . .

Babione 6 said...

How cool!

and kinda weird. to think about reading past dates point of view.

hmmm

Thomas Ward said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thomas Ward said...

Thanks for the blurb! How cool. I'm going to send everyone to your blog. Guerrilla marketing has commenced.

Sherry Jo said...

Thanks for the shout-out! I'm glad you enjoyed the play.

But I agree with babione 6...it is kinda weird.

Raine said...

It could be worse...At least your name doesn't make everyone think of a stripper.

Living thru momhood said...

I am driving to Atlanta in January to see this play! I was actually there to witness these events and would love to see it all over again. I have no doubt that Thomas did a brilliant job. And I really need a good laugh. Yes, boys are mean. But girls torture boys in ways we ourselves can't understand.

Bethany Jones said...

You are such a good writer! I am loving reading your blog. I read Thomas's play aloud a couple years ago, before it was published, and I can't wait to see it performed(for the 2nd time - the first time being in real life 15 years ago!)